Average nut quality of test trees from 2002-2013.
|Cultivar||Yield||# Nuts / lb.||% Kernel||Cluster Size||Harvest date|
|lbs./tree/year||(50% shuck split)|
|Copeland||See Below||49||53%||3.0||Oct. 16|
|Desirable||45||51 %||2.4||Oct. 14|
|Stuart||47||45 %||2.6||Oct. 20|
Average pest resistance of test cultivars 2006-2013.
|Cultivar||Leaf ScabZ||Nut ScabY||Black Aphid DamageX||Sooty Mold BuildupW|
|Avg. (worst)V||Avg. (worst)||Avg. (worst)||Avg. (worst)|
|Copeland||1.0 (1.0)||1.0 (1.0)||2.3 (3.8)||1.1 (2.8)|
|Desirable||2.2 (4.0)||3.8 (5.0)||1.3 (2.7)||1.0 (1.0)|
|Stuart||1.4 (2.8)||1.5 (3.5)||2.3 (3.8)||1.0 (1.0)|
- Z 1=No scab, 2= Few stray spots, 3=Several spots with expanding lesions, 4=Stem scab or defoliation.
- Y 1=No scab, 2=Few stray spots, 3=Obvious scab but no quality loss (0-10%), 4=10-50% shuck coverage, 5=50-100% covered, nut drop.
- X 1=No damage, 2=Light spotting, less than 25% leaves affected, 3=Moderate spotting, 25-75% leaves, 4=Heavy spotting, >75% leaves affected, some leaves completely yellow.
- W 1=None, 2=Light, some black on few leaves, 3=moderate, black on most leaves, 4=Heavy, black flakes on leaves and stems.
- V Average score over all years and average of worst year for each trait.
Average yield (pounds nuts per tree) of 'Copeland' each year from topworking in 2007. The base tree was planted in 2002, same as 'Desirable' and 'Stuart'.
Seedling tree from a grower.
'Copeland' was topworked into our variety test in 2007. In 2010 it had its first sizable crop. We have not yet seen scab on this cultivar in our sprayed test. However, black aphids appear to be a real problem with this cultivar and will need to be monitored. We discontinued testing this cultivar after 2013 because yields have been so low.
'Copeland' vs. 'Sumner' from 2012. 'Copeland' was 47 nuts / lb and 53% kernel. 'Sumner' was 57 nuts / lb and 50% kernel.